Monday, Dec. 14th (Mui Ne Day 20)

  • Caught up on some sleep and showed up to the kiteboarding school around Noon
  • Cory geared up and took a 9 meter kite out on the water.  He has been improving quickly, now turning consistently and trying some bigger jumps.
  • It’s day 5 of no ocean time for me and I’m starting to go stir crazy.
  • Took two kiteboarding students, Selma and Elena from Switzerland, to Warung for lunch.
  • At Warung I met a Russian kiteboarder who also had some leg wounds from a minor motorbike accident.  He was in the same position as me, waiting for everything to heal before he could get back in the water.
  • However, he told me his injuries had been improving way faster than normal thanks to a “magical” local vietnamese woman who had been treating him.  He told me to meet him at 10pm outside of Sunrise resort if I was interested.  I accepted.
  • Hung out the rest of the day at Vietnam Kiteboarding School (VKS), talking to the instructors and writing.
  • The instructors told me that there was a typhoon off the coast of the Philippines which meant good things for the wind and waves over the next week.  That pushed me over the edge.  I went to the pharmacy and bought some antibiotics, resolving to be in the water tomorrow no matter what.
  • We started work on the earlier side of the evening, around 6pm and finishing around 8:30.
  • Hung out at the hostel until 10pm when I left to meet up with the Russian kiteboarder and his magical vietnamese healer.
  • Arrived at the Sunrise resort and sat talking with the Russian kiteboarder for a few minutes before our saviour showed up: a fiesty vietnamese woman named Sau from a nearby mountain village that works full-time at the Sunrise resort.  She came carrying an LED lantern light and her bag of medical supplies and proceeded to treat us both right there, sitting on the concrete steps of a gated shop next door.  
  • She dripped some form of peroxide on all of our wounds, cutting away any hair that was in her way, and tending to any drippage with a gauze pad.  Next was a dollup of her special mountain-made medecine, a brown sticky paste made from a wild flower.  She covered each dollup of paste with a small piece of gauze and a strip of tape to keep it in place.  
  • Moments later she said goodbye without asking for anything in return, only pausing long enough to tell me to come again tomorrow at 10pm.
  • I walked away in a bit of a daze wondering if the whole encounter had really happened.  
  • Met up with Cory, two guys from Italy, and Sun – one of the owners of Friendly Hostel where we are staying.  We had promised to take Sun out one night and ended up at VKS drinking Saigon and eating Vietnamese peanuts.
  • I headed to bed before midnight while Cory stayed a bit longer.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s